Tuesday, March 16, 2021

At My Appointed Time Good-Bye World

My husband started reminding himself that he was getting old when he turned forty. Every day he would repeat that comment in some form or another. He was too old to take a chance on anything he was not sure of. He would never accept a promotion on a job, because he was too old to change his everyday routine. I was six years younger than he, so I begain to think I was getting old at 34. However, I never dwelled on my age. I have always felt like a woman was no older than the felt, and a man was not old till he quit feeling. So to this day I still have those same thoughts. I feel much younger than my 88 years, and my husband left me when he was 86. I was able to take care of him, and manage our business for 20 years before he passed away. He did not feel old as long as he was with me after he really became older. He and I had a great relationship up until a few weeks before he passed. He never lost his sense of humor, or any bit of his mind. When he was in the last stages of cancer the Doctor asked him," Charles are you ready to go?" He said, "yes I'm ready but I hate to leave my wife." He has been gone eight years now, and I am still doing quite well for myself, with God's help. I suppose I am writting this bit of nonsence to say life is what we make of it. Over the years both my husband, and I could have made some bad decisions, but he was too old, and I was not feeling old. Our marriage lasted 64 years, and I feel like a young widow. Sometimes I wonder why I get tired so quick today, without actually accomplishing much. Then I can't stop that inner voice saying, you are not older than you feel, but your body is. I thank God for every false remark thst's been made about me. I thank Him for every grief I have had to bear. I thank Him for every chance I have taken that would make me a better person even though it could have been giving up my life. It is only when we deny ourselves, and take up our cross and follow Jesus, that we have a happy, blessful life. No one can ever convience me of anything different. So to those who might think they know me better than I know myself, can you pass the test that I have passed? Can you live each day as though you have a hundred more to live? And I might add look forward to them? I am aware I could be called any minute, but I have been aware of that for over sixty years. Today is the day to rejoice, and be made glad. God Bless Myrtle Jean Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment