Sunday, June 13, 2021

"And Then It Happened"

“And Then It Happened” I was expecting a nice, surprising, but a great blessing this morning at church. It didn't happen; but after church was over and people started leaving I found it. A couple, and their daughter were already seated when I arrived at church, and I had never seen them there before. I thought they were off, and on attendants that I had never met before. I just waved at them as I walked up the isle to my seat. I knew I was going to acknowledge them when church was over. But, while I was asking someone who the folks were, they had already exited the church, and by the time I learned that no one there knew who they were, I had to run outside to catch them before they got to their car. I introduced myself to them, and started talking as fast as I could to get more acquainted. They were more than eager to let me know they were trying to find a church where the minister still preached God's Word. They added, this minister is one of those few still left. He did a great job, they said. Then the gentleman began to preach me a little sermon. I almost started shouting standing outside while people were going to their cars to leave. My surprise blessing happened outside of the church, but it did happen. I said to them, I hope God will move on you to come back, and help us fill these pews. Then I went back inside, and shared my blessing with the few whom had not left yet. The sermon this morning was again on, “don't give up.” I thought to myself, surly pastor you can't still keep believing that this church is ever going to be the same as long ago. He had used the bible scripture about Lazarus who had died, and was buried, when Jesus told his sister to remove the stone, and bring Lazarus out of the cave where he was buried. But the people told Jesus, by now he will be stinking. They did what Jesus told them to do, and unwrapped the burial cloth from him. Jesus said to Lazarus, “ rise up and walk, and Lazarus did just that. I had heard this sermon so many times till I was not touched by it. But when I chased the strangers down this morning, the sermon started having an effect on me. I knew then that I was never going to give up. I'm in a shouting mood again, and feeling a little ashamed at my doubt. God Bless Myrtle Jean Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment