Wednesday, October 23, 2019

"An Old Old Story Never Grows Old"

                                  The story of the Prodigal Son. 10-23-2019 Perryton, TX

I have chosen to post two paintings from my Holy Bible. One is the return of the Prodigal son, the other is a tax payer questioning Jesus of what was Caesar's and what was Gods. Somehow the pictures makes the story seem more real. The story about the Prodigal Son is a parable given by Jesus to the Pharisees, and scribes attempting to resolve their differences about having fellowship with sinners. The parable of the Prodigal Son is found in Luke 15:11-32. “And he said, A certain man had two sons; And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he divided unto them his living. And not many days after the younger son gathered all together, and took his journey into a far country, and there wasted his substance with riotous living. And when he had spent all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he began to be in want. And he went and joined himself to a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields to feed swine. And he would fain have filled his belly with the husks that the swine did eat; and no man gave unto him. And when he came to himself, he said, how many hired servants of my father's have bread enough to to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no more worthy to be called thy son; make me as one of thy hired servants. And he arose, and came to his father. But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and kissed him. And the son said unto him, Father, I have sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more worthy to be called thy son. But the father said to his servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him; and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet; And bring hither the fated calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again. He was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.

This parable doesn't end there, but the point is the father was glad to see his son, and forgave him, and even honored him with a robe, and a feast. The main lesson of this story is not only forgiveness, but the father didn't go looking for his son, but was ready to forgive him when his son came and asked for forgiveness. Who of us are the guilty ones who turn away from our inheritance for a show of “smarter than thou attitude.? Who of us will return when the chips are down, and ask for forgiveness? Many will die in their un confessed sin, rather than admit their fault. I pray I have left nothing un said when I stand before God on judgment day. However, there is many times I can think of that I wish now I could confess to my departed loved ones. Not that I had to suffer hunger for the mistake I made, but for the love that I failed to show enough.

God Bless
Myrtle Jean Sharp
















No comments:

Post a Comment