Sunday, August 19, 2018

"A Dancer Turned Spectator"

          I showed up, but didn't show out. Not my kind of music. 8-19-2018 Perryton, TX
 

What can I say about the rodeo dance I attended last night? I'm digging deep to find words worthy for a large, younger crowd of deeply enthusiastic performers. I had thought the band was going to be western, but seemingly they had not been informed of the difference between love, and kick butt music. I saw nothing on the dance floor but twist and turn, and push and shove. The music was bringing it on. And to no surprise, most of the dancers were in their prime age. It would have been a laughing show to have watched older people trying to keep up with the music. Several small children were there even toddlers. Fathers were dancing with their daughters hanging on their hips. Mothers had their little sons on the floor teaching them how to dance. But most of the time the floor was crowded with acrobatic performers. My mind wondered back to the time when I would have fit right into this crowd, but that has been a long time ago. I did not dance, but thoroughly enjoyed the show. My friend danced with her great granddaughter, who came and dragged her out on the floor. Two grandsons also danced with her. They danced her style, and it was nice. Needless to say the atmosphere was peaceful, and respect from all attendees was tops. It was after 1 o'clock when I got home. I slept sound the rest of the night, and will stay home the rest of the day. I have a lot of digesting to do before I order any more fun time.


We did have an inch and one-half of rain last night. We're so thankful for that. The constant lightening also was an added attraction to the show last night. The very large exposition building where the dance was held had wide, tall overhead doors opened wide. and the out door darkness was mostly light with the flashing lightening. No one cared about a tornado that might be brewing because they were having too much fun however, three policeman were on guard watching out for that. With no air condition in the building the cool rainy breeze made for a perfectly comfortable night.


I have tried to give my opinion of the latest western type dances however, I will have to admit it was designed for the younger westerners. Not many seniors stay up past 1 o'clock p. m. Since this rodeo dance was scheduled to begin after the rodeo was over, it made sense to see mostly a very young crowd. I do frequently attend a senior citizen's western dance, and the band is strictly western. By that I mean slower, softer, and easy to understand words that touch the heart. We seniors can twist and turn, but we like to do it gracefully. There is a time, and a place for everyone. I have learned that finally.


God Bless

Myrtle Jean Sharp
















No comments:

Post a Comment