Tuesday, May 10, 2016

"More Flowers For The Soul"

Hibiscus is my joy all summer. Found this one today, and grabbed it quickly. A lot to pay for a flower plant, but they are worth it. 5-10-2016 Perryton, Texas.


How lucky I was to find this lovely full-blooming Hibiscus plant this morning. I buy one every summer, but this one is the biggest, and most beautiful I’ve ever bought. I like them because a new bloom opens up every day. The big flower the plant produces is just gorgeous for a few hours, then drops off, but another opens up as soon as the old one falls off. There are usually three to four flowers open at the same time. I did a lot of yard work today. I set out several flower plants, and hung two hanging baskets over my porch. I need to fill the humming bird feeder with nectar because I’m ready to watch those tiny birds flutter while they eat. I just hope they don’t forget to come this summer. As soon as I got the blooming flowers in the planters I saw several tiny bees trying to land on them. Nature is one huge, interesting, enjoyable, gift from heaven. I never get tired of it. Tomorrow I will be back out working again to finish planting all the flower plants. I am excited, and didn’t want to stop, but my old worn-out body just lets me do so much in one day. I can rest while enjoying the beauty of what I have already done, with the help of the birds. They seemed to be enjoying themselves as much as I. They would often land on a flower pole, and of course I never had my camera handy because I was working. 

I have a creative idea with my vegetable garden. I no longer raise vegetables so I’m turning that whole space into a flower garden.  With God’s help I know I can do it. Chuck is also helping me as he loves flowers as much as I do. He brought over a load of round cement disks that he molded several years ago. I wanted to use them to step on when the ground is wet, and I need to tend to the flowers. I know this sounds like a lot of work, but I think I can manage it. I couldn’t see letting that big garden space grow up with grass. It has served us as a vegetable garden for many years. I have canned many jars of vegetables from it, and gave a lot of them away. Everyone loved those yummy pickles, and pickled okra and beets,  but it was too much work for me to do alone. I think the flowers will replace my love for fresh vegetables. I still have my asparagus garden since it grows voluntarily every spring. It has served us several meals of delicious asparagus already this year. I have rhubarb, and fruit trees which require little attention. Chuck will furnish me with fresh tomatoes, and several other things he will be growing. If anyone needs some mint plants I have boo-koos of it. I can’t keep it pulled up fast enough. It gives off a strong mint smell, and the plant is nice and green. I have been fighting it for many years, but have never been able to completely destroy it. It is real, genuine mint and makes the ice tea taste good. I think I’m going to use a lot of it for a cover to my flower garden, since I have so much space. Happy summer days to all.

God Bless
Myrtle Jean Sharp















































No comments:

Post a Comment