Monday, July 27, 2020

"A Ninety Three Year Old Poem Resurrected"

"Desiderata" The famous prose poem written by Max Ehrmann in 1927. A pop=up for todays troubled world. 7-27-2020 Perryton, TX
 

Just when I was about to begin working on a project this morning something clicked in my mind and said “no.” You need to write your blog first. “But,” I said. I don't have anything to write about. After a few minutes I remembered I had been planning to search for some paintings that I needed to hang in Chuck's refurbished bedroom. I kept forgetting it. The first framed hanging I pulled out from behind a chest-of-drawers immediately caught my eye. I had bought this fixture only for the frame that I wanted to use for one of my own paintings. I had not even read the prose poem that was securely placed behind a glass pane, and wedged to the frame. The poem was lengthy, and I don't usually like wall hangings with only verse meaning, but I began to read this one. It was titled “Desiderata,” and I didn't even know what that meant. I glanced at the author's signature at the bottom, and seemingly I remembered him a little. The more I read this poem the more I became inspired to share it with others. Before I even looked up the author of this poem, or cared to know who he was, I knew this was the message God was directing me to today. It seemed to fit right into the situation that we all are facing at this time. I must take a picture, I thought, and put it on my blog. Since the glass pane caused a white spot on the picture I almost didn't follow through. But, except for looks the spot didn't hinder the words.


This poem was written in 1927, by the famous German writer, poet, lawyer named Max Ehrmann from Terra Haute, Indiana. He was born on September 26, 1872. and died on September 9, 1945. Both his parents emigrated from Bavaria in the 1849s. His line of education is extensive. In my opinion his poem, “Desiderata” has meaning that few people might understand. I felt the inspired charge this person must have had the moment I started reading it. Some years ago I probably would not have even read it, as I have already said; but for the time we are now living in I found every reason to read it.


The definition of desiderata is “things wanted or needed.” “Happy-ever-after” and “eternal love.” appear to be the desiderata of the current generation; to whom ”fat chance” say those of us who are older, wiser, and more curmudgeon. (The definition of curmudgeon is a bad tempered, difficult, cantankerous person.) As stated by an interpreter. The  Latin for desiderata is “things desired.”


This photo I am posting may not be legible until you enlarge it then scroll up as you read, but it is a very good dose of up-lifer if you will take the time to read, and digest it all. I feel so positive that this poem was given to me today for some reason. It really helped me to become stronger, and I hope it helps someone else also.


God Bless
Myrtle Jean Sharp 

No comments:

Post a Comment