Wednesday, November 14, 2018

"Thanking God For This Day"

               Part of the large crowd at the Senior Citizen's dinner today. 11-14-2018 Perryton, TX
 
What a wonderful thanksgiving dinner we enjoyed today at the Senior Citizen's Center. A very large crowd attended, and it was so nice to see people that I hadn't seen in years. The food was delicious, and such a large variety to chose from. I have to give the cooks, and helpers a big shout out. We still had snow on the ground, but the parking lot had been cleared off, and the temperature was not bad. Several in wheel chairs, and walkers came without any trouble of rolling right into the big dinning hall. How proud I was of them.

I came home and put a ham in the oven to bake for our Thanksgiving dinner at home. We have already had turkey, and dressing twice in the past week. Today was my third time, however Chuck got left out today. I am ready to change my menu to ham, and candied yams. I baked extra pumpkin pies so I could have some for out Thanksgiving dinner. I took two to the Center today. I'm sure I will fix some chicken and dressing again because we do like it a lot. I just won't be buying a turkey. I really miss fixing a big dinner of turkey and dressing as I used to do for many years. There is no one now to come and help eat it. All my family have moved away, and have families of their own. This year I reserved Christmas to go be with them.

While I have been praising my wonderful community for all the peace, caring, and sharing we are privileged to enjoy, I am deeply sorry for those who are not so fortunate. So far I have heard that 51 lives have been lost in the California wild fires, and many more still missing. How could any one not be grieving over such a disastrous happening, even though we may not know anyone personally who was affected. A life is a life, and I feel the pain knowing that all of these human beings were burned alive. It is very hard to carry on with our laughter, and Thanksgiving pleasure when we hear about all the terrible things happening to other people who had their laughter, and Thanksgiving plans burned in a moments time. The least we can do is thank God for mercy that we are still living. It could happen to us at any moment also. I'm sure those victims in California had no warning of such a terrible disaster happening to them. Life is uncertain, and is certain to end sometimes sooner than we think. May we stay prepared daily for such a time as we think not of being taken away. I, myself need to do some forgiving, and turn the other cheek. It's required of us, whether we want to do it or not. I'm not speaking of evil, I'm just speaking of jealously some of us have. Feeling more important than what we really are. Let us not wait for a fire to destroy our sin, but let us trust God to cleanse us thoroughly. I'm not suggesting that those people affected by that fire were sinful, but had they of known their life was going to be destroyed in such a horrible way no doubt most of them would have called upon God for any unforgiving sin they might have. Please pray for all those souls that were so quickly taken. They are gone, but their families are suffering mightily.

God Bless
Myrtle Jean Sharp

No comments:

Post a Comment