Wednesday, December 14, 2016

"One More Step And I'm Out"

Hurrah! I made it to the Center today. I am the one with dark hair wearing a red vest facing the camera. 12-14-2016 Perryton, Texas.       Some of the beautiful Christmas decorations at the Center. 12-14-2016 Perryton Texas.

              
It was an exciting time today at the Christmas luncheon at Senior Citizen’s Center. The Christmas spirit was everywhere. Every face shined with sparkling eyes. What a joy to see so many old friends whom I hadn’t seen for so long. I think I have finally been lifted up above the shadows. This day was surly the beginning of a new world for me. I almost let the old doubter convince me that I should stay home and never go out again, but I fought back, and I’m so glad I did.  

The lunch was super delicious with ham or brisket. Mashed potatoes with cheese and chives, Green bean casserole, sweet pea salad, whipped cream, cherry salad, and crescent rolls. Apple cobbler was the dessert. Everyone was so pleased with the taste of everything. I was overwhelmed with all the hugs and merry Christmas wishes I received. I had not been to the Center since Mother’s Day. I was told that prayers had been going up for me, and the manager thanked God for bringing me back while she had her arms around me. What a great bunch of people to be a part of! I was invited to another group of widow’s and widower’s gatherings, who go out to eat every Saturday night. I have accepted the invitation for this coming Saturday night. This may be the answer to my prayer, which I didn’t see coming. I was leaning toward a different type of fellowship, but God always knows best.

To put it more clearly I have been made today to appreciate my blessings a thousand times more . Nothing about the environment, which I’ve been a part of for years, has changed, but something about the attitude of my being has changed a lot. I feel like I have found my way out of a deep hole which I had been placed in with no one but myself and God to pull me out. I climbed most of the way with the persistence of Jesus. It seemed like every night after I went to bed I just thought about my grave, and how awful it must be to be buried six feet under the ground. Many of times I wanted to go out to the cemetery and dig my husband up. Of course I knew this was insane, but I couldn’t seem to accept the reality of death. I was praying and reading my bible every night, but day after day more and more of my friends and loved ones were dying. After four years I am now beginning to climb out of that deep hole I fell into. Like David in the bible when his baby son was dying, I went into deep depression. When his son died David came forth quickly,  and grieved no more. He was asked how he could get over his loss so fast. He replied, “while there was life there was hope, but after death all hope is gone.” I have tried to be of the same spirit as David, but I just couldn’t bounce back. I haven’t completely recovered but I am a lot closer to the top today than I was yesterday.

God Bless
Myrtle Jean Sharp 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment