Sunday, November 13, 2016

"What Where When And Why"

My granddaughter and family, Angela, Kenny, Brittni, Zak, Gabriel Farquire. I have an update on Zak. The little boy standing. He is four in the pic, but is 20 today. Been paralyzed from the neck down for seven years. 11-13-2016 Perryton, Texas.


As some of you may have read my blog a few days ago where I had shared the terrible news that my great grandson had been put in hospice, I now have an update.

The call I’ve been waiting for to hear of Zak’s death came last night only it was from Zak himself. At first I thought I was getting another scam call, and it wasn’t until I asked him several questions that I was convinced it was Zak. Since his accident seven years ago I had not seen him but once. That was two years ago and he acted like he barely knew me. A large group of family members had been asked to meet with some of Zak’s social workers  and Zak to discuss what to do with him as he was approaching his eighteenth birthday. He no longer could be kept in the facility where he had resided for several years after he became 18. Zak was hit with a car by a drunken driver while he was riding his scooter along with his father and a friend riding bicycles. He was thirteen at the time. He was left with a paralyzed body from his neck down, but his brain was not damaged. It is amazing how much he has been able to do with the help of sophisticated technology and super good doctors and nurses. His education is on a first year college level. He has been taught to use a computer, cell phone, and play games by the touch of his tongue.

When I saw him two years ago I could hardly keep the tears from running down my cheeks. He had turned into a handsome young man even with the paralysis that had him trapped. He was not even able to turn his head because of a brace that kept it stable. Somehow the moving of his head would cause damage to the spine. Please don’t get bored before you read the rest of this story.

I was with Zak’s mother when she had a C-section surgery to deliver him from her tummy. He was born with a breathing problem and the doctor thought he might not live. While the nurses was making arrangements  to send the baby to a larger and more modern hospital, Zak’s mother and I held hands and prayed for his breathing to become normal. God immediately answered our prayers and Zak went home the next day. I was able to spend some time with Angela and the children until they moved away so far I hardly ever got to see them. Zak was probably seven or eight when they moved. I had some very precious memories of my granddaughter and her children that have not faded. I have prayed for them every night since Zak’s accident.

The call I received last night nearly sent me to the emergency room with shock. I had thought my great grandson was near death, He had been taken from his hospice care unit where he stayed and put back in the hospital, because his condition was such that he couldn’t be denied extra pain medicine. My son had told me it couldn’t be long. Then my phone ring about 8:00 last night.
“Hello grandma Sharp. This is Zak.”
“No way my brain told me, this is not Zak.
I had never heard a more strong and plainer voice than I was hearing now.
“Is this Zak Farquer, I asked?”
“Yes, Angela’s son. She is here with me.”
“I can’t believe it’s you, Zak.”
“Yes, I got your number from papa Rick.”
At this point I knew it must be my dying great grandson calling me.
“How are you doing,” he asked?
“I’m doing good to be 83 years old,” I told him. “How are you doing?
“I’m doing good too. I wanted to call you.”
I said to him, Zak I can’t believe this is you. I’m so glad you called. You have made the rest of my day and night.” I told him I had prayed for him every night since the accident. He thanked me and said I do appreciate that.
“I got baptized last February.”
“You did?” You are getting ready to go to your eternal home where there will never be no more pain or sorrow.
“I can’t wait,” he said.
Then he started asking me how other members of the family was, and I was even more shocked since he had had almost no communication with any of them. Our conversation lasted at least twenty minutes. He told me, “I have your number now I will be calling you more.” Then he said “grandma you have my number because it’s the one I’m calling from and it’s on your phone.”
“Is this your cell number,?” I asked.
“yes, and you can call me anytime.” How could he answer my call if there was not someone to hand him the phone? He can’t move a muscle but his eyes and lips. Again I was reminded of all the other miracles that had made Zak’s life more bearable. 

I cried and thanked God for an hour after we hung up. I felt like something had happened and I didn’t know what. I guess I will never know, but I know God knows all about it and I trust Him to handle it in His own way.

I have peace this morning and I know God is real and alive.

God Bless
Myrtle Jean Sharp


No comments:

Post a Comment